Join GAPIMNY in building the queer Asian and Pacific Islander (QAPI) community in New York City and participate in one of our newly-formed Committees!
In line with our 2016 theme Coming Together: Creating Safe Spaces for QAPIs, GAPIMNY is convening Pride, Social, and Welcoming Committees to develop and strengthen supportive environments for QAPIs to connect, come out, and share common experiences. Each Committee with work closely with GAPIMNY leadership and meet regularly to ensure goals are met. Activities for each Committee are described below.
- Work together to develop this year’s theme
- Lead our contingent as a marshall (1-2 members)
- Coordinate logistics with partner organizations
- Build community through outreach
- Plan a sign-making party
- Have a great time marching at Pride!
- Work together with other friendly GAPIMNY members to create fun and vibrant safe spaces for the QAPI community
- Co-host Elixir Happy Hours
- Plan general and members-only events (dim sum, board games, or whatever you like to do!)
- Build relationships with related organizations to jointly host new events (Asia Society, APICHA, etc.)
- Engage prospective and current GAPIMNY members at events
- Ask interested QAPIs to join GAPIMNY as paying members
- Send welcome emails to new members
- Meet new GAPIMNY members 1 on 1 to develop a relationship with them
If you have any questions or would like to join a Committee, please contact [email protected]. We are excited to bring more QAPIs into our family and work together to create a more diverse, inclusive community.