GAPIMNY’s Steering Committee completed its annual planning meeting of 2018 this weekend! Some short summaries from the all day conversation:
- We discussed the 2017 survey results and listened to your comments regarding increased steering committee visibility, the greatest struggles for queer API folk (white supremacy was foremost in our members’ minds), the desire to embrace all trans and GNC people and all types of Asians (South Asians in particular), and what identities our members are struggling with.
- We played a bit of educational jeopardy on GAPIMNY’s history from its origins to present day.
- We engaged in reflection concerning the current state of GAPIMNY as well as our own personal lives in the context of the cycle of liberation.
- We learned about non profit woes from queer and feminist activists.
- Our subcommittees shared plans on what they would like to do in 2018.
- Fundraising Committee discussed plans to establish more efficient ways of keeping track of donors and a special fundraising pre-pride event.
- Political Committee encouraged its other committee members to step up and show up for political issues affecting our community, like immigration and trans and GNC rights.
- Marketing Committee laid ambitious plans to streamline our current marketing process, to establish baseline metrics gathering, and to revamp the website.
- Social Committee suggested ideas to make our current events more fun with increased budget and new events for our members, including karaoke nights.
The Steering Committee left the planning meeting with various words: excited, ambitious, impressed, inspired. We hope to make 2018 a great year!